35 replies to this topic

#1 thomas

thomas

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:46 PM

"The revived version of the event will feature the Binghamton Philharmonic playing on a temporary stage erected above the concrete steps along the bank of the river."

https://www.binghamtonhomepage.com/news/local-news/pops-on-the-river-returns-to-binghamton/1115871617

636591320349790518-1984.png

#2 Dino

Dino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:42 PM

So excited for this event!

#3 Mr. Met

Mr. Met

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:47 PM

Not to nitpick but I think the new one won't actually be on the river but on the bank on the side. 

Still cool though!

#4 Stray Cat

Stray Cat

Oracle Of Wisdom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:22 PM

OMG! has it really been 24 years? I truly am an old fart!

"There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe"     Albert Einstein

ninja_cat___animated_by_raynebowbear-d32

Tri Cities Buzz Forum at.....

http://bcvoice.boards.net/

#5 ginger

ginger

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 03:23 AM

Cheers again!  :) And Cheap Trick is playing the Speidie Fest, and All siders event, and when is there time to go on vacation? I guess it'll be the Cape in October again! Perfect!!! I wonder if Donald and Melania will be going to Nantucket?

lol Did anyone see Alan Dershowitz crying because he's being shunned by the Martha's crowd? One woman stated she'd stab him in the heart if he showed up at her party. 

#6 BubbaGump

BubbaGump

Professional Ball buster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,668 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 03:21 PM

I worked several of the pops on the river it sure was missed, it was a great yearly event. I'm glad they are bringing it back even if it's not on the raft in the river. The Regotta and the Pops makes two more summer events to look forward too. CONGRATS !!

#7 WolfMan

WolfMan

Den Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,280 posts
  • Interests:Strolls in the forest, especially during a full moon

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:49 PM

The Regotta and the Pops makes two more summer events to look forward too. CONGRATS !!

Yes, it was certainly a very special era those years when we had both events in the same summer.

#8 ginger

ginger

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:39 PM

Was it 1976? I was thinking it was Americas 200th birthday too that year.

#9 WolfMan

WolfMan

Den Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,280 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:44 PM

Was it 1976? I was thinking it was Americas 200th birthday too that year.

Was what 1976?

#10 ginger

ginger

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:45 PM

Was what 1976?

The first year of the Pops and the Regatta? And the 200th birthday of America. 

#11 WolfMan

WolfMan

Den Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,280 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:39 PM

The first year of the Pops and the Regatta? And the 200th birthday of America. 

Well, I know for a fact that the 1982 event was officially "The 7th 3rd 1st Annual Admiral Ward M. Wilson Yegatta Regatta.." (I have a newspaper article stating that), so knowing cancellations occurred and "7th" is in the 1982 title, counting back to "1" would be 1976. So it's certainly plausible.

#12 2pelo Honey

2pelo Honey

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,370 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:22 AM

1st City's Pops on the River ran from 1980 until 1994.

#13 27 Time World Champions

27 Time World Champions

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:02 AM

I just asked the old lady if David Agard was still the conductor. She informed me he died in 2017.

#14 19April1775

19April1775

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,335 posts
  • Interests:Get over democrat versus republican, liberal versus conservative. Let us Americans understand liberty versus tyranny and nothing else.

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:19 PM

I just asked the old lady if David Agard was still the conductor. She informed me he died in 2017.

Shit happens, no worries. At least you asked :).

The primary function of the independent juror, is not as many think, to despense punishment to fellow citizens accused of breaking various laws, but rather to protect fellow citizens from tyrannical abuses of power by government.

The Constitution guarantees you the right to trial by jury. This means that government must bring its case before a jury of The People if government wants to deprive any person of life, liberty or property. Jurors can say no to government tyranny by refusing to convict.

#15 motheragainstdrunkdriving

motheragainstdrunkdriving

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:57 AM

I worked several of the pops on the river it sure was missed, it was a great yearly event. I'm glad they are bringing it back even if it's not on the raft in the river. The Regotta and the Pops makes two more summer events to look forward too. CONGRATS !!

Hey so did we Bubba. That float was almost falling apart by the end of the Pops. It was a pain in the ass putting it up and tearing it down every year, running wires everywhere making sure no one on the float got electrocuted. If I remember correctly Bucci did not want to help save the float and those that sponsored Pops were backing out of support too which was the end of Pops at that time. None of the sponsors wanted to spend any more money on a new float. Some one drowned who was a participant of The Ya Gotta Regatta which was also going on at the same time which I think turned into a lawsuit against the city. The Pops was the best money maker for the city bringing in people from all over. Bucci was a jerk for shutting it down. People came to Binghamton for the day and spent money downtown. I hope its successful . Binghamton better be law enforcement prepared because the Pops of yesteryear won't be the Pops of today.

#16 Mr. Met

Mr. Met

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:43 AM

With how great downtown is again, this could be a fantastic event.  Add LUMA and things are starting to look real good for events and making downtown a destination again. Fantastic news. 

#17 joehill7469

joehill7469

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:59 AM

Hey so did we Bubba. That float was almost falling apart by the end of the Pops. It was a pain in the ass putting it up and tearing it down every year, running wires everywhere making sure no one on the float got electrocuted. If I remember correctly Bucci did not want to help save the float and those that sponsored Pops were backing out of support too which was the end of Pops at that time. None of the sponsors wanted to spend any more money on a new float. Some one drowned who was a participant of The Ya Gotta Regatta which was also going on at the same time which I think turned into a lawsuit against the city. The Pops was the best money maker for the city bringing in people from all over. Bucci was a jerk for shutting it down. People came to Binghamton for the day and spent money downtown. I hope its successful . Binghamton better be law enforcement prepared because the Pops of yesteryear won't be the Pops of today.

#18 joehill7469

joehill7469

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:02 AM

The idiot that drowned at the yagatta regatta was not a participant he was a drunk that went down to get something off a raft that didn't belong to him. 

#19 PARMELEE

PARMELEE

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:50 AM

The idiot that drowned at the yagatta regatta was not a participant he was a drunk that went down to get something off a raft that didn't belong to him. 

Wow...Talk ill of the dead much ???....This was still someone's family member... 

Accept everything about yourself--I mean everything, You are you and that is the beginning and the end--no apologies, no regrets. -- Clark Moustakas

#20 BubbaGump

BubbaGump

Professional Ball buster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,668 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:58 PM

I helped put in the float also , it was a lot of work but we had some fun doing it. Running the cables wasent fun tho I swung a sledge and knicked my knee when it slipped off the rod but was lucky it wasent a direct hit. SPring was running the show back then and we ate very good lol Cortese sent over a bunch of pies and there was all. Kinds of food, one of the perks. Was good overtime

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users