17 replies to this topic

#1 The Mad Russian

The Mad Russian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:12 AM

I see the Mayor has announced 11 million dollars to rehabilitate some houses on Crandall Street to make 40 affordable housing units. Let’s see that’s $275,000 per unit. Wish I had $275,000 to rehabilitate my house. Does anyone know where this $11,000,000 is coming from? 

#2 Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:50 AM

That seems to me to be a very steep price.  I think it should be put out for bids.  Any contractor could do it for a lot less.  But that is our government at work.  Go figure.   

Lady Gaga

#3 thomas

thomas

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:11 AM

As presented it makes no sense. Way too expensive. You can build a big house for $275,000.

#4 BubbaGump

BubbaGump

Professional Ball buster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,087 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:48 AM

What's your background Thomas you know it all!

#5 Bluestar

Bluestar

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:06 PM

My best guess is that Mayor McCheese figured out a way to get State funding if he put up some local tax dollars for the remodels/rebuilds. This just came off a spin I saw on the news regarding Cuomo's new pledge to end homelessness. I'd bet he's tapping into that. My question is that why would you invest that kind of time and money into an area that is completely surrounded by gangland? Edwards,Thorpe,Chestnut, Mather, North, Walnut are all gang controlled. Actually probably the one of the most dangerous areas in Binghamton. You're putting lipstick on a pig here....fix the houses up to be destroyed by the surround hoods...This makes no sense to me and I would also go as far as to say if this is tied into the local tax roles then there should have been a vote from the City's homeowners. As usual, time after time, let's help the homeless, let's help the addicts, let's help the needy.....What about helping the local taxpayer who pays out the ass for a crime ridden city that can't manage itself? This is just foolishness. This city needs to help out the ones who actually fund these morons in City Hall.....the taxpayer. I wouldn't put it past the contract going to a local "buddy" of the Mayor either...This place stinks. Leaderless.

#6 Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:57 PM

Well said Bluestar.

Lady Gaga

#7 thomas

thomas

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:00 PM

What's your background Thomas you know it all!

I listen to WNBF. A First Ward caller today said to Morning Now listeners it's way too expensive and the contractor will be the one that ends up with affordable housing because of all the profit.

Oh, and $11,000,000 / $15,000 = 733 homes that could have a new roof and some paint. 

Say 4 dwellers per home = about 3,000 people (almost 8% of the population of Binghamton) that could benefit not to mention the money would pay numerous contractors. Not just one fat cat.

#8 PARMELEE

PARMELEE

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:09 PM

Well I see Jerry Willard has found another cash cow......LMAO 1 million dollars per property....Must be using nails of gold....

Accept everything about yourself--I mean everything, You are you and that is the beginning and the end--no apologies, no regrets. -- Clark Moustakas

#9 southern bound

southern bound

Greenhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:06 PM

I remember sitting in the work room when Matt Ryan's admin received a matching grant for 250,000 to refurbish on house on south side.  I thought will if money was there, why not try to get some funding for a much needed new roof and siding so I went to the work session to listen and learn..  well Papastrat went up and down the ledger of funding wanting to know how much for this door, this cabinet, bathroom fixtures, etc.. But now, David wants the 11 million and know questions asked.  where are the republican watch dogs now? oops, and where is dani?  what a farce, it will turn to the same drug infested area in 5 years, but with an new front porch,  how sad for the taxpayers....didn't garo say that the city will be owning 3 mill on a law suit and he is spending city money to fund this?????  

#10 Property & Casualty

Property & Casualty

Defender of the Faith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts
  • Interests:Show me a ghetto, and I'll show you an area governed by democrats.

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:13 PM

It's just more Section 8 housing to accommodate the current class of citizens living in that area.  The criminals have trashed the existing properties so our government wants to dump an 8 figure load into fixing things up for them.  It raises a number of questions.

Who is paying for it?

Who will ultimately have title to the properties being improved?  It will be an existing place being renovated or rebuilt.

What are the tax implications?  It's taxpayer money being spent here.  No real estate developer in his right mind would drop $11,000,000.00 into that neighborhood and expect to ever recover his costs, let alone make a profit.  Is the end receiver of these funds paying income tax on those dollars?  I'm sure the workers will be, but what about the owner of the properties?  It's a huge transfer of wealth with very little disclosure or taxpayer oversight.

Where's that money going?  $275,000.00 per unit, really?  Who's cashing in here?

This is nothing but another welfare program.  The poor folk will get some updated units to live in on their taxpayer subsidized rent, until they wreck them like what's happened to the rest of that neighborhood.  Some rich dudes will be cashing in big time on this deal. 

The media wants to spin this as a positive thing for the area, but is it really a good thing in the big picture?

You and I, the taxpayers, are being f***ed once again by our elected officials. 

Am I the only one who sees the problem here?

#11 Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:27 PM

They say "affordable housing", but affordable to who?  When completed and prices are posted it will turn out that the average middle income family can not afford the rent.  People who on welfare who get a rent subsidy are the ones who will move in.  So folks the moral of the story is go on welfare you'll be much better off. The non-tax paying element of society will  reap the benefits.

Lady Gaga

#12 bored or curious

bored or curious

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:35 AM

I demand to see transparency on where these dollars and costs go. Every stick and nail.  This is an obvious ploy to be an absurd embezzlement/laundering of cash one way or another. Absolutely no market sales data for any "unit" of any kind in the City of Binghamton or surrounding area can support this type of investment.  I need a thesaurus for more words for "absurd."  There are no existing structures that any developer would sink this kind of money into per unit.  OR vacant lot.  Crandall? LOL such a thriving neighborhood with huge resale potential again LOL. Demolish and rebuild the shitholes where necessary.  All cheaper. Christ. Are contractors the only lobbyist in this mess of a government? 

#13 H&K

H&K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:09 AM

11 million for Crandall St............ 11 gallons of gas and a bic lighter would cost about $30.... problem solved

#14 ThelmaHarper

ThelmaHarper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:23 AM

Just like Front Street. All that money to rehab the houses- and they do look fantastic. But they're already being trashed by the obese and unclean who litter the lawns and porches with their trash. Meanwhile regular working folks make do with loans, saving, DIY work and sometimes even tarp on roofs they can't afford to fix, all so that recipients of free services can get upgrades on "their" houses. Makes me sick.

If the money is going to be spent on houses, maybe it should go towards guaranteed loans for city employees- encourage them to actually live in the city and in nicer places. What neighborhood wouldn't be improved by a few cops or DPW or clerks living in it and taking some pride in the city and its environs?

But to just give to those leaches who take and destroy before moving on. We have met the Borg and they are assimilating us. Resistance is futile, I guess.

#15 thomas

thomas

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:16 PM

ok let's say $30,000 per home. $11,000,000 / $30,000 = 366 homes.

Owner occupied, income qualified. City Public safety and other city workers have first priority. 

Say 4 people per home = almost 1400 people that would benefit not to mention numerous local contractors and businesses.

#16 Bluestar

Bluestar

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:14 PM

I would love to see just once this asshat of an administration actually say,"You know what? We're going to be revolutionary here and this money is going to be divided between the parcels of tax paying homeowners to either use their allotment for a home remodel or take their percentage off their annual tax bill". Do that and you'll get my vote....give it to "needy" AGAIN and kiss my vote goodbye. The local homeowner in Binghamton, NY has been abused and financially raped in this city year after year. Administration after Administration continue to fail us....Just remember one thing....when you keep giving to the "needy" at some point they no longer are "needy" and are now reliant on your support. Wake the F up already....

#17 Property & Casualty

Property & Casualty

Defender of the Faith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts
  • Interests:Show me a ghetto, and I'll show you an area governed by democrats.

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:52 PM

I would love to see just once this asshat of an administration actually say,"You know what? We're going to be revolutionary here and this money is going to be divided between the parcels of tax paying homeowners to either use their allotment for a home remodel or take their percentage off their annual tax bill". Do that and you'll get my vote....give it to "needy" AGAIN and kiss my vote goodbye. The local homeowner in Binghamton, NY has been abused and financially raped in this city year after year. Administration after Administration continue to fail us....Just remember one thing....when you keep giving to the "needy" at some point they no longer are "needy" and are now reliant on your support. Wake the F up already....

That money comes with strings.  Use it as the State/Feds dictate or else you don't get it.  That's a product of a powerful centralized government.  They decide what's best for individual communities. 

#18 Bluestar

Bluestar

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:11 PM

That money comes with strings.  Use it as the State/Feds dictate or else you don't get it.  That's a product of a powerful centralized government.  They decide what's best for individual communities. 

That's fine with me....then don't accept it unless it will benefit your tax base, which this does not. I just find it amazing that all these funds can ONLY be used to help the "disadvantaged". Being a property owner in the City of Binghamton should be considered "disadvantaged"....highest tax rate in NYS and this city for most parts is a shithole, with an administration that rivals the Keystone Cops......These fools in Albany/DC can't see what a benefit it would be to also help out the existing tax base once in a while....smh

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users