12 replies to this topic

#1 motheragainstdrunkdriving

motheragainstdrunkdriving

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:02 AM

I read this morning that President Trump wants to cut the food stamp program and have government buy nutritious foods that recipients would have to pick up from government agencies. A lot of canned meats and veggies would be past out every month along with powdered milk a lot of rice and beans which trump said are very healthy for people. It almost sounds like he wants to go back to the surplus foods that were given out years ago when we were kids.

As I read this I thought Trump and GOP & DEMS better be prepared for major backlash from food stamp recipients because they won't be able to buy junk foods or other unhealthy foods. Also look for our grocery prices to go up for us as theft in stores increase. I foresee home invasions increasing to sustain drug addicts lifestyles since the addicts won't be able to sell their food stamps if the program is cut.

I know when I took a couple of college courses a few years back, kids and adults who attended classes were trying to sell the food stamps to others for money. These were people whose families were on welfare. They were doing this right out in the open being quite bold about it if I may say so. No discretion at all.

As for food stamp users maybe this is a good thing that they will have the government buying their groceries every month. I have stood behind slovenly women and men in the area grocery stores that use the abt cards and their carts are always filled with junk and very expensive items and then they hit up all the free dinners given by churches in the area. Welfare and Food stamp people really know how to use the system.

#2 OTR

OTR

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:56 PM

I've long been a proponent of eliminating as much overhead as possible while promoting actual nutrition. My ideal plan would be to eliminate all qualifications - get rid of all that overhead. Then replace food stamps with 50lb bags of quality staple foods - flour, rice, potatoes, etc. Anyone can pick up a bag anytime - no qualifications necessary - doesn't matter if you make $100 a year or $100,000,000, if you want to come pick up a bag of staple foods, do so.

I'm pretty sure this plan would:

1) Dramatically cut costs

2) Ensure that no one has to go hungry, ever.

#3 motheragainstdrunkdriving

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:13 PM

I've long been a proponent of eliminating as much overhead as possible while promoting actual nutrition. My ideal plan would be to eliminate all qualifications - get rid of all that overhead. Then replace food stamps with 50lb bags of quality staple foods - flour, rice, potatoes, etc. Anyone can pick up a bag anytime - no qualifications necessary - doesn't matter if you make $100 a year or $100,000,000, if you want to come pick up a bag of staple foods, do so.

I'm pretty sure this plan would:

1) Dramatically cut costs

2) Ensure that no one has to go hungry, ever.

Its a very good plan OTR but I see people taking advantage of it and turning around selling some or all of the food that they pick up. If there could be some sort of system put in place where people can't abuse pick-up allotment times that would be good. Ex: People can only pick up the food 2x a month.

#4 Stray Cat

Stray Cat

Oracle Of Wisdom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:34 PM

The current political food chain in this country is in drastic need of reform. The epidemic abuse of EBT benefits is only one of several places that require change! I have witnessed EBT recipients entering stores to purchase expensive items like crab legs and rib eye steaks then selling them for a fraction of their worth to eager buyers in the parking lot of the store! A good place to start the reform is in the government that sanctions this activity!

27657457_10156578596775628_2362381535152

"There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe"     Albert Einstein

Posted Image

#5 DanCooper

DanCooper

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:18 PM

The current political food chain in this country is in drastic need of reform. The epidemic abuse of EBT benefits is only one of several places that require change! I have witnessed EBT recipients entering stores to purchase expensive items like crab legs and rib eye steaks then selling them for a fraction of their worth to eager buyers in the parking lot of the store! A good place to start the reform is in the government that sanctions this activity!
                                                27657457_10156578596775628_2362381535152

I agree. Nothing wrong with having to stand in line for cheese handouts. Might teach some humility in the abusers.

#6 OTR

OTR

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:25 PM

Its a very good plan OTR but I see people taking advantage of it and turning around selling some or all of the food that they pick up. If there could be some sort of system put in place where people can't abuse pick-up allotment times that would be good. Ex: People can only pick up the food 2x a month.

Who is going to buy a 50lb bag of rice that they could go pick up for free at any time?

I think you're missing the real point here, though: the cost of creating and policing a system to make sure people only show up 2x a month is very likely greater than the cost of whatever fraud might be committed. The idea here is to provide quality staple foods at the lowest possible cost. If that means we let a few scammers figure out a way to sell cheap rice to Mexico, fine.

Quite frankly, I"m pretty sure it'd be cheaper for us to provide the entire world with an unlimited supply of rice/beans/potatoes than to keep our current system in place for just Americans. We could eliminate starvation and save money at the same time...

#7 PARMELEE

PARMELEE

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:24 PM

OTR..Stray Cat.....You both leave a lot to be desired.....

Accept everything about yourself--I mean everything, You are you and that is the beginning and the end--no apologies, no regrets. -- Clark Moustakas

#8 OTR

OTR

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:03 PM

Like your parenting?

#9 JB 2

JB 2

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:51 PM

Now that is simply Cold. Only Leftists respond that way.

Now on reducing food stamp budget makes common sense. All the Propagandists have been crying for most of a year how millioms are no longer signing up or still receiving the benefit. So why is the same amount (or more, as Dems want) be budgeted when it seems the Dept should have money left over. Maybe for more Bonuses, automatic COL increases, more millions to ad agencies to pay for radio and print advertising, (there might be a newborn somewhere in the country who has never heard of food stamps), or any other number of reasons that would only be understood by Politicians.

OR,it could be duly elected President Donald J. Trump is a big ol' meeeeeeeeeeneeeeee?

#10 Stray Cat

Stray Cat

Oracle Of Wisdom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:36 PM

Retracted!   I don't want to hit Jack below the belt. I don't know him personally and have not walked in his shoes therefore It is unfair for me to make any presumptions regarding his parenting skills. I have certainly lived long enough to realize that things happen sometimes where the reasons are unclear.............

"There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe"     Albert Einstein

Posted Image

#11 motheragainstdrunkdriving

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:55 AM

Good Point OTR. Those around the world who are hungry would have no objections to getting free staples to feed their families. Americans on the other hand who get food stamps would reject this practice because they feel they are entitled to the EBT Cards so they could pick what they want to eat/or sell for $$$$. Welfare recipients in this country are a spoiled lot and are very demanding of the system. It had become easier for slackers to sign up for welfare checks in America. Just look at our local Welfare office here in Binghamton. Workers bend over backwards trying to expedite money and EBT to new residents while taking care of the generational welfare families who have resided here since birth. . Our Taxes supply a free living to others who refuse to work and Broome County has no objections to handing out the dole to those who don't deserve our help. Welfare recipients in this country have become dependent on the system and it needs to stop. The recipients should be made to learn job skills and put them to use. No Work No Help should be the motto of a program to put even generational welfare to work.

#12 BubbaGump

BubbaGump

Professional Ball buster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,633 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:14 AM

It's about time some one took a look at the food stamp program it's been running ramped for decades.
One of the nations greatest Presidents taking care of business.

#13 motheragainstdrunkdriving

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:05 AM

God Bless You Jack. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Stay Strong.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users