14 replies to this topic

#1 flash211

flash211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:02 PM

Congrats to SV Girls Basketball team for their Class B State Championship and an undefeated season!

Also congrats to the Seton Boys and Girls Basketball teams for their outstanding seasons, as well.

Section 4 basketball is strong in our area!

#2 GTO

GTO

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:10 PM

^^ Absolutely!

#3 JoeTheDrunk

JoeTheDrunk

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:15 PM

Congrats to SV Girls Basketball team for their Class B State Championship and an undefeated season!

Also congrats to the Seton Boys and Girls Basketball teams for their outstanding seasons, as well.

Section 4 basketball is strong in our area!

Seton boys had a real nice team this year. Overall the NY State Class B boys was not real good this year.. Let's get the Boys baseball season going, however I think it is going to be a while before the teams can get outside.

#4 ThelmaHarper

ThelmaHarper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:35 PM

Agree all around. We went to several games, but did make it a point to see the SV and Seton girls, the Seton boys, the M-E boys, and several others. Good quality of ball and we heard that many of the players are good kids. We enjoy it. It's a cheap night out for tickets, pizza, or popcorn we spend less than ten dollars! 

#5 flash211

flash211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:51 PM

Lest not forget the coaches. While I recognize that most get a decent stipend, they also have to manage/mold these student-athletes. Like Thelma, I watched a lot of local basketball games, and generally the player's hormones were kept in check and demonstrated good sportsmanship.

With that said, there are some coaches that need to be re-educated on game etiquette. As a coach myself, I don't quite understand why some these coaches think that berating a referee is being helpful, let alone a role model to teens that are looking up to them. Both the Oneonta Boys and Seton Boys Varsity coaches seem to get that point. I watched both of them in their Sectional game; they handled questionable calls with poise and neither seem to openly berate the refs or to demonstrate any dissent about the calls. Refs are human, too.

Hopefully these athletes do well in school so that they can continue to be student-athletes in college.

#6 sportsexpert

sportsexpert

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:36 AM

Lest not forget the coaches. While I recognize that most get a decent stipend, they also have to manage/mold these student-athletes. Like Thelma, I watched a lot of local basketball games, and generally the player's hormones were kept in check and demonstrated good sportsmanship.

With that said, there are some coaches that need to be re-educated on game etiquette. As a coach myself, I don't quite understand why some these coaches think that berating a referee is being helpful, let alone a role model to teens that are looking up to them. Both the Oneonta Boys and Seton Boys Varsity coaches seem to get that point. I watched both of them in their Sectional game; they handled questionable calls with poise and neither seem to openly berate the refs or to demonstrate any dissent about the calls. Refs are human, too.

Hopefully these athletes do well in school so that they can continue to be student-athletes in college.

There is a shortage of officials/referees, and the quality of their work shows it. I respect a coaches poise when an official makes a questionable call, but a coach also has an obligation to his team to let an official know that they made a mistake. I have seen more bad officials than good ones for sure. Refs are human, but that is not an excuse for being a horrible ref. Not to mention, I have seen many officials act like they are the ones people have come to the gym to watch and not the game. The ego some of them have is unbelievable. I guess when they put on the striped shirt they feel more important than they really are. It is too bad we can not find more people willing to become officials. They get paid pretty darn good. They get close to $100 per varsity level game. Thats not bad for 2 hours work?

#7 ThelmaHarper

ThelmaHarper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 02:00 PM

Who would want to ref in this day and age? The way the kids on the court and the parents in the stands (and sometimes the parking lot) act towards them, it's a miracle there aren't fights.

I agree with the classy coaches- Mackey from Oneonta is very professional with the refs and so is the guy from Seton and the man from SV- Ward, I think.  We also saw the SV girls play many times, and their coach was good.  There are some who are embarrassments to their communities, on both the boys and girls sides.

But some of the parental behavior alone, especially CV and JC, is enough to make me question the sanity of anyone who would choose to ref.

#8 27 Time World Champions

27 Time World Champions

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:21 PM

Who would want to ref in this day and age? The way the kids on the court and the parents in the stands (and sometimes the parking lot) act towards them, it's a miracle there aren't fights.

I agree with the classy coaches- Mackey from Oneonta is very professional with the refs and so is the guy from Seton and the man from SV- Ward, I think.  We also saw the SV girls play many times, and their coach was good.  There are some who are embarrassments to their communities, on both the boys and girls sides.

But some of the parental behavior alone, especially CV and JC, is enough to make me question the sanity of anyone who would choose to ref.

^^^This^^^

Wish there was a like button on BCVoice. You nailed it.

Ditto baseball. Especially Little League

#9 Property & Casualty

Property & Casualty

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:01 PM

^^^This^^^

Wish there was a like button on BCVoice. You nailed it.

Ditto baseball. Especially Little League

Def wish we had a like button. 

I'll echo flash's sentiments about the coaches doing far more than what the stipend pays them for.  They work their asses off.  There's also a lot of support from volunteers, booster clubs, and family members.  There's a lot of love that goes into those programs; be it the xyzball team, the cheerleaders,or the marching band. 

#10 ThelmaHarper

ThelmaHarper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:24 PM

Owego and M-E will be the teams to beat next year.

#11 flash211

flash211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:10 PM

Owego and M-E will be the teams to beat next year.

OK, I'll bite. What sports? Boys, girls, both? There are many good, local HS sports teams....

#12 ThelmaHarper

ThelmaHarper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:59 AM

OK, I'll bite. What sports? Boys, girls, both? There are many good, local HS sports teams....

Sorry, I was talking boys basketball. There are a lot of good teams locally. On the girls side, I think there is more talent and a lot of depth. Seton, SV, Binghamton in particular have a lot of talent. We don't follow wrestling much. Just football and basketball.

#13 flash211

flash211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:21 PM

Agreed. What I find interesting is that, in spite of all of the distress this area has faced, we have a wealth of youth talent in the area. Pick a sport and there invariably is a local school or more making a legitimate run to a state title. Take for example the past couple of weeks, there were multiple local schools in the final 4, if not the Class Championships, for baseball, softball and lacrosse.

#14 GTO

GTO

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:29 AM

Congrats ME Girls and Deposit/Hancock Boys.... State Champs !!  Also some Track Kids, good stuff.  Way to go kids!!!

#15 27 Time World Champions

27 Time World Champions

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:40 PM

Local High School baseball is going to be really fun to follow in the coming years. The guys from the ME Little League Championship team are going to be fun to watch. It's also going to be interesting to see how they progress. I was especially impressed by Jude Abbadessa, Ryan Harlost (who last I knew are both in the UE School district) and Michael Mancini (ME).

I can see all 3 of those guys advancing to either college or pro ball after high school.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users