17 replies to this topic

#1 JoeTheDrunk

JoeTheDrunk

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:15 AM

Who has had some roof work done recently? 

Looking for a good reliable company..

#2 Spuds

Spuds

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:51 AM

Robert Laman Jr. Construction.  Their work is top notch.

FORON - a moron who posts stupid crap in a forum. Don't you be one!

#3 rightorwrong

rightorwrong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:47 AM

Word of Advice:  Go on a sites like Angie's List or Home Advisor to get reviews not BC Voice.

#4 Bingking

Bingking

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:48 AM

Robert Laman Construction.  Their work is top notch.

I wouldnt trust Laman or his workers anywhere near my home, the guy has a bad history with the law. And I know for a fact one of his workers was and may still be involved with hard drugs

#5 Bingking

Bingking

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:49 AM

Word of Advice:  Go on a sites like Angie's List or Home Advisor to get reviews not BC Voice.

Companies pay to have good reviews on Angies list or home advisor, at least here on bcvoice you are getting real reviews without money involved

#6 Spuds

Spuds

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:47 AM

I wouldnt trust Laman or his workers anywhere near my home, the guy has a bad history with the law. And I know for a fact one of his workers was and may still be involved with hard drugs

They have built an addition, added a bathroom, remodeled my kitchen, rebuilt my front porch and re-sided the house and garage. This was all done within the past 3 years.  We have left them alone in the house and on my property with no problems whatsoever.  They reroofed 2 of my neighbor's homes and they had the same experience.

#7 rightorwrong

rightorwrong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:30 PM

Companies pay to have good reviews on Angies list or home advisor, at least here on bcvoice you are getting real reviews without money involved

No they do not.  They can advertise on both sites but there are guidelines.  They do not pay to get good reviews.  If they receive inadequate performance reviews then those sites have the ability to pull their ads.  Also, one must register to give a review.  Are there some bogus ones?  Probably, but after reading your comment about Laman you proved my point that this site is not the place to go to get responsible reviews.  I don't think your response was a "real review".

#8 Bingking

Bingking

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:15 PM

No they do not.  They can advertise on both sites but there are guidelines.  They do not pay to get good reviews.  If they receive inadequate performance reviews then those sites have the ability to pull their ads.  Also, one must register to give a review.  Are there some bogus ones?  Probably, but after reading your comment about Laman you proved my point that this site is not the place to go to get responsible reviews.  I don't think your response was a "real review".

A review from me is a review that has no money behind it unlike Angies list or the other sites you seem to trust soo much and if you dont want to hear the truth of whats been said in the community then thats fine too.

#9 Bingking

Bingking

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:17 PM

They have built an addition, added a bathroom, remodeled my kitchen, rebuilt my front porch and re-sided the house and garage. This was all done within the past 3 years.  We have left them alone in the house and on my property with no problems whatsoever.  They reroofed 2 of my neighbor's homes and they had the same experience.

Thats great and Im glad to hear that however I dont think Im the only one in the community who is familiar with this company and its owner. Have a great day

#10 a taxpayer

a taxpayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:19 PM

Dave Wagner Roofing, a great job, timely and a LOT cheaper then several other well known roofers

#11 rightorwrong

rightorwrong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:27 PM

Your review was not a review.  All you did was mention his legal problems (if there is any) and talking about an employee with a drug problem.  That is not a review.  Paid or not.  Also, I did mention that some reviews may be bogus on those sites.  You didn't read my full comment.  You didn't even mention any contractors that were reliable and did a good job that they were contracted for.  Which leads me to believe you only wanted to trash talk about a company. 

#12 Spuds

Spuds

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 04:02 PM

Thats great and Im glad to hear that however I dont think Im the only one in the community who is familiar with this company and its owner. Have a great day

I wonder if the problem is that I misnamed the company.  It should have been Robert Laman JR Construction.  I know his father's company (without the Jr) had problems.

#13 Mr. Met

Mr. Met

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 04:48 PM

The problem I have with Yelp, Angies List, etc is it really is hard to weed out a disgruntled employee or a paid shill buddy of the company. 

#14 Bingking

Bingking

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:32 PM

The problem I have with Yelp, Angies List, etc is it really is hard to weed out a disgruntled employee or a paid shill buddy of the company. 

Exactly

#15 Property & Casualty

Property & Casualty

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 10:53 PM

Ask a neighbor or a relative or another trusted person for an opinion on a contractor theyve actually used.

Online reviews cannot always be trusted. There are paid reviews disgruntled employees etc as mentioned in the last post.

Another thing to consider is the tendency of people to only leave reviews after a negative experience. Satisfied customers rarely leave reviews so the negative ones will tend to be the majority of what you will find.

Get an opinion from someone you trust who has actually used the contractor in question.

I replaced my roof with the help of some carpenter friends of mine.

I have had good success contracting other work through Lowes. I am not sure if they contract out roofing jobs but it would be worth a phone call.

I liked dealing them because they are a big company. They have a lot of buying power and the small contractor will be much more responsive to them than they would be to me. I would be a one time job where they could not care less if I never called again whereas Lowes would represent a larger customer bringing repeat business. If I have a problem with the work then I call Lowes. They are the ones I gave my money to. My contract is with them. I let them chase the small business owner they contracted with. I have used Lowes for a bathroom remodel and two other smaller jobs and the few small issues I did run into were addressed immediately.

#16 joehill7469

joehill7469

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:53 PM

I had Robert J Green bros. do my roof, they did excellent work, they were very professional , the cleanup was very good and the price was right. I highly recommend them.

#17 OTR

OTR

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:22 PM

Well, I'll tell you the best possible roofer, but it won't help you. TM Alibrandi roofing out of Syracuse. I worked for Teddy for years and hated life because he would not accept anything but perfection. He does not cut corners, period.

I convinced him to come down here and do my roof ten years ago, but he only did it because I know him. I think the only way you'd be able to do so would be via bags of money, which you probably don't have just laying around. But if I'm wrong, PM me and I'll send you the number (or just Google it).

#18 BubbaGump

BubbaGump

Professional Ball buster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,711 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:08 PM

Tim Fruehan does excellant work

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users