What is "the dickens?"

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest-jack hammer-*

Guest-jack hammer-*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:07 PM

Does anyone know what "the dickens" is: as in the expression "it's colder than "the dickens?"

#2 Sleepless in Hillcrest

Sleepless in Hillcrest

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,343 posts
  • Interests:Things I shouldn't poke with a stick

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:09 PM

http://www.worldwide.../qa/qa-dic3.htm
You have bled with Wallace.... now bleed with me!

#3 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:10 PM

It's like saying "the devil", it's just a euphemism.

#4 Bee

Bee

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,292 posts
  • Interests:Theater, music, literature, writing, reading, and film. Broome County for 20 years.

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE (jack hammer @ Dec 19 2009, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone know what "the dickens" is: as in the expression "it's colder than "the dickens?"

From World Wide Words

Q] From Jan Walsh: Do you know where the phrase hurts like the dickens comes from? [A] Let’s focus in on dickens as the important word here, since there are lots of different expressions with it in, such as what the dickens, where the dickens, the dickens you are!, and the dickens you say!

It goes back a lot further than Charles Dickens, though it does seem to have been borrowed from the English surname, most likely sometime in the sixteenth century or before. (The surname itself probably derives from Dickin or Dickon, familiar diminutive forms of Dick.) It was — and still is, though people hardly know it any more — a euphemism for the Devil. It’s very much in the same style as deuce, as in old oaths like what the deuce! which contains another name for the Devil.

The first person known to use it was that great recorder of Elizabethan expressions, William Shakespeare, in The Merry Wives of Windsor: “FORD: Where had you this pretty weathercock? MRS PAGE: I cannot tell what the dickens his name is my husband had him of”. That pun relied on the audience knowing that Dickens was a personal name and that what the dickens was a mild oath which called on the Devil.

"You are the way that the stars look back at themselves"~Michael Bernard Beckwith~

"May you be happy, may you be peaceful, may you be free from suffering." ~Buddhist Loving Kindness meditation/prayer~

I surrender all thoughts, memories, beliefs, actions and activities that I'm holding on to that keep me from loving myself and others fully and completely.

#5 Doctor X

Doctor X

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE (Bee @ Dec 19 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From World Wide Words

Q] From Jan Walsh: Do you know where the phrase hurts like the dickens comes from? [A] Let’s focus in on dickens as the important word here, since there are lots of different expressions with it in, such as what the dickens, where the dickens, the dickens you are!, and the dickens you say!

It goes back a lot further than Charles Dickens, though it does seem to have been borrowed from the English surname, most likely sometime in the sixteenth century or before. (The surname itself probably derives from Dickin or Dickon, familiar diminutive forms of Dick.) It was — and still is, though people hardly know it any more — a euphemism for the Devil. It’s very much in the same style as deuce, as in old oaths like what the deuce! which contains another name for the Devil.

The first person known to use it was that great recorder of Elizabethan expressions, William Shakespeare, in The Merry Wives of Windsor: “FORD: Where had you this pretty weathercock? MRS PAGE: I cannot tell what the dickens his name is my husband had him of”. That pun relied on the audience knowing that Dickens was a personal name and that what the dickens was a mild oath which called on the Devil.

Oh, thanks, what about "Jimmy cracked corn?"

#6 Rick Shaw

Rick Shaw

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE (Doctor X @ Dec 19 2009, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, thanks, what about "Jimmy cracked corn?"

And I don't care! tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif
Just be you, nobody can do it better!

There is nothing wrong with individuality..........as long as we can all do it together. Major Frank (ferret face) Burns.

If it weren't for rules......we would all be up in trees flinging our crap at each other. Red Forman

#7 Doctor X

Doctor X

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (Rick Shaw @ Dec 19 2009, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And I don't care! tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

Are you going to thank me for the set up?

@

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users