Please teach me all about Cell-Phones

46 replies to this topic

#1 Guest-Jack Hammer-*

Guest-Jack Hammer-*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:07 AM

Hi nice people! Let's say that I've been in a coma for 20 or 30 years, and just woke up and would like to learn about Cell Phones. As of right now I know NOTHING! Let's start with the COST--can I hear what it costs various folks for all the charges connected to their cell phone, and it's use?

Again, as of right now I have absolutely NO knowledge of the subject of cell phones, other than that they're portable and you carry them around with you to talk on and write (text) on, and maybe take pictures with.
Thanks much!

#2 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE (Jack Hammer @ Feb 8 2010, 09:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi nice people! Let's say that I've been in a coma for 20 or 30 years, and just woke up and would like to learn about Cell Phones. As of right now I know NOTHING! Let's start with the COST--can I hear what it costs various folks for all the charges connected to their cell phone, and it's use?

Again, as of right now I have absolutely NO knowledge of the subject of cell phones, other than that they're portable and you carry them around with you to talk on and write (text) on, and maybe take pictures with.
Thanks much!

You already know everything there is to know about them.

#3 Sleepless in Hillcrest

Sleepless in Hillcrest

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,343 posts
  • Interests:Things I shouldn't poke with a stick

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:13 AM

Thanks much!

When you find out, let me know. I can answer it and call people but I know nothing else about the dozen other things you can do with it! I still miss rotary phones.
You have bled with Wallace.... now bleed with me!

#4 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE (Sleepless in Hillcrest @ Feb 8 2010, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When you find out, let me know. I can answer it and call people but I know nothing else about the dozen other things you can do with it! I still miss rotary phones.

Yeah, I miss the days before rotary. Number please! Oh no, I'm THAT OLD?????

#5 Sleepless in Hillcrest

Sleepless in Hillcrest

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,343 posts
  • Interests:Things I shouldn't poke with a stick

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE (Guest @ Feb 8 2010, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I miss the days before rotary. Number please! Oh no, I'm THAT OLD?????

Only if your dog's name is Lassie and you asked her, "What's that girl??? Timmy fell down the well?"
You have bled with Wallace.... now bleed with me!

#6 Guest-guest-*

Guest-guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:02 PM

Well you've got the basic idea. Cell phones vary widely in cost and monthly plans. On the low end I think you can still get trac-phones... these are the most basic of cell phones, they allow you to call and text, and you basically pay as you go by purchasing cards with redeemable codes for phone minutes. This is the best option for someone who's not on their phone everyday and just needs to make the occasional call and have something on hand for emergencies. The cost depends entirely on your usage, if you're only making quick calls once in a rare while there's no telling how long a $30 card could get you. The price of phones go up the more things you add to it. On the high end you have what are called 'smart phones', they are called that because they are online and can establish an internet connection. These phones can do anything from web browsing, email, weather updates, the possibilities are about as wide as you can imagine. Monthly payments for most smart phones will probably run you somewhere between $75 to $150ish a month, and again that all depends on how many monthly minutes and texts you want, as well as any other special features you want to throw in, and how you plan your internet access. Personally, I own an iPhone which cost about $200 for the phone, and I pay $90 a month for unlimited internet access, unlimited texting, and a generous amount of minutes for calls. If you're still unclear as to how cell phones work and what you'd be after, I'd suggest stopping in to a phone store and asking questions. Probably go to a few different companies too, just in case you have some smart aleck who wants to try to sell you on their product rather than just get you informed.

Good luck.

#7 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (Sleepless in Hillcrest @ Feb 8 2010, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Only if your dog's name is Lassie and you asked her, "What's that girl??? Timmy fell down the well?"

I actually do remember phones before rotary. Barely remember of course laugh.gif

#8 Guest-jack hammer-*

Guest-jack hammer-*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (guest @ Feb 8 2010, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well you've got the basic idea. Cell phones vary widely in cost and monthly plans. On the low end I think you can still get trac-phones... these are the most basic of cell phones, they allow you to call and text, and you basically pay as you go by purchasing cards with redeemable codes for phone minutes. This is the best option for someone who's not on their phone everyday and just needs to make the occasional call and have something on hand for emergencies. The cost depends entirely on your usage, if you're only making quick calls once in a rare while there's no telling how long a $30 card could get you. The price of phones go up the more things you add to it. On the high end you have what are called 'smart phones', they are called that because they are online and can establish an internet connection. These phones can do anything from web browsing, email, weather updates, the possibilities are about as wide as you can imagine. Monthly payments for most smart phones will probably run you somewhere between $75 to $150ish a month, and again that all depends on how many monthly minutes and texts you want, as well as any other special features you want to throw in, and how you plan your internet access. Personally, I own an iPhone which cost about $200 for the phone, and I pay $90 a month for unlimited internet access, unlimited texting, and a generous amount of minutes for calls. If you're still unclear as to how cell phones work and what you'd be after, I'd suggest stopping in to a phone store and asking questions. Probably go to a few different companies too, just in case you have some smart aleck who wants to try to sell you on their product rather than just get you informed.

Good luck.

WOW!!! Yours is a SUPER report! Thank you very much! Actually, if I were to get a cell phone, it would have to be one with the LOWEST COSTS possible! Maybe one of those "TRAC-PHONES" that you mentioned in your post.
But beyond that, I would still like to get some idea of what a typical cell phone owner would pay for their phone and it's use. ( I notice where someplaces they're talking about things like FREE PHONES, ACTIVATION CHARGES, something about 2 years, and I guess there's many other costs that the ads talk about.) Can I get any other specific amounts that people pay to have and use their cell phone?
Thanks again!
jh

#9 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE (jack hammer @ Feb 8 2010, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WOW!!! Yours is a SUPER report! Thank you very much! Actually, if I were to get a cell phone, it would have to be one with the LOWEST COSTS possible! Maybe one of those "TRAC-PHONES" that you mentioned in your post.
But beyond that, I would still like to get some idea of what a typical cell phone owner would pay for their phone and it's use. ( I notice where someplaces they're talking about things like FREE PHONES, ACTIVATION CHARGES, something about 2 years, and I guess there's many other costs that the ads talk about.) Can I get any other specific amounts that people pay to have and use their cell phone?
Thanks again!
jh

http://www.billshrin...ans-comparison/

This at least is a decent start to looking at plans.

#10 Guest-jack hammer-*

Guest-jack hammer-*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:12 PM

I'm trying to learn about cell phones so here's a question: Why do most people charge for used cell phones (often $50 and up) on Craigslist, when there are SO MANY that are FREE when the customer gets a 2 year contract?
Thanks

#11 Rick Shaw

Rick Shaw

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (jack hammer @ Feb 8 2010, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm trying to learn about cell phones so here's a question: Why do most people charge for used cell phones (often $50 and up) on Craigslist, when there are SO MANY that are FREE when the customer gets a 2 year contract?
Thanks

They charge for used cell phones because people are dumb enough to buy them. You are correct. Many will give you the phone with a two year contract.
Just be you, nobody can do it better!

There is nothing wrong with individuality..........as long as we can all do it together. Major Frank (ferret face) Burns.

If it weren't for rules......we would all be up in trees flinging our crap at each other. Red Forman

#12 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:35 PM

We pay about $140-150 per month. We have 5 phones, with texting and lots of minutes. The phones are free with a 2-year contract. There's an activation fee of $35, but if you are a good negotiator you can get it waived. Nationwide long distance is included. Ours is Verizon - mainly because almost everyone we or our kids know is Verizon, and the in-network (ie Verizon to Verizon) calls are "free."

#13 Bee

Bee

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,292 posts
  • Interests:Theater, music, literature, writing, reading, and film. Broome County for 20 years.

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:07 PM

I have a tracfone because I use the cell for emergencies and to call home when I'm out. Bought the phone for $20.00 and spend no more than $20.00 per month to purchase minutes, usually 60 minutes at a time.

I know that many people use their mobile phones as their primary service. I have digital service with unlimited and some international calling included in the monthly fee.
"You are the way that the stars look back at themselves"~Michael Bernard Beckwith~

"May you be happy, may you be peaceful, may you be free from suffering." ~Buddhist Loving Kindness meditation/prayer~

I surrender all thoughts, memories, beliefs, actions and activities that I'm holding on to that keep me from loving myself and others fully and completely.

#14 dingbat

dingbat

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,453 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:14 PM

If you are only planning on having it for emergencies and not spending every waking minute on it talking and texting, I'd say go with the Trac Phone. My Dad has had one for years and he's happy with it and the bill.

#15 Guest-Guest-loveybambi-*-*

Guest-Guest-loveybambi-*-*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:36 PM

Thanks much!

Boost mobil unlimted calling text web all for $54 per month tax included

#16 Guest-Go Phone-*

Guest-Go Phone-*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:31 PM

I bought a AT&T Nokia phone at Wal-Mart about $25.00 and use the AT&T unlimted talk and text that is $60.00 plus tax per month. It works real good for me. I cancelled my home phone. No need for it.

#17 too_ft_putt

too_ft_putt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:46 PM

I have the basic verizon 450minute plan. I get a discount through my employer so the $39 dollar plan is around 30. I also signed up for the 150 txt msg/month plan. I sometimes will use the web browsing feature, but i try to keep this to a minimum. I've never used my entire monthly minutes. My bill...with all the fees is usually around 50 a month.

My parents have had a tracfone for a few years and have been happy with it.

Prior to using verizon, I was was ATT/Cingular. I am much happier with verizon. I find their coverage to be far better than ATT's.

I would suggest you go with a tracfone or other pay as you go plan. You won't have a contract to deal with, and if down the road you find you use your phone much more, you can always sign up with a plan form one of the carriers.

@

#18 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE (too_ft_putt @ Feb 8 2010, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would suggest you go with a tracfone or other pay as you go plan. You won't have a contract to deal with, and if down the road you find you use your phone much more, you can always sign up with a plan form one of the carriers.
@

Too_ft_ putt! I'm surprised at what you wrote here---"you can always sign up with a plan from one of the carriers."

I'm surprised too_ft, because I thought that once someone signed up with a carrier, that then that phone would ALWAYS, for the entire life of the phone, have to be serviced by that SAME, ORIGINAL CARRIER.
As I originally said, I'm totally new to this cell phone business, so I guess I had a WRONG ASSUMPTION.
Would you agree? In other words, am I now correct in thinking that someone can switch from one carrier to another, whenever they want to, provided that there's NO CONTRACT in effect?
Thanks!

#19 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:01 PM

I use straight talk. Owned by tracfone but runs off the verizon network. For $45.00 month I get unlimited everything (text, web & calls, free voicemail & calls to 411). No contract to worry about and if I choose to go cheap I can switch to $30.00 plan (you buy cards @ walmart) and get 1000 minutes, 1000 texts and (I think) 30 MB of web.

#20 too_ft_putt

too_ft_putt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (Guest @ Feb 9 2010, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Too_ft_ putt! I'm surprised at what you wrote here---"you can always sign up with a plan from one of the carriers."

I'm surprised too_ft, because I thought that once someone signed up with a carrier, that then that phone would ALWAYS, for the entire life of the phone, have to be serviced by that SAME, ORIGINAL CARRIER.
As I originally said, I'm totally new to this cell phone business, so I guess I had a WRONG ASSUMPTION.
Would you agree? In other words, am I now correct in thinking that someone can switch from one carrier to another, whenever they want to, provided that there's NO CONTRACT in effect?
Thanks!

You misunderstood what I was saying. I suggested going with a pay as you go plan...like tracphone to start. If you will be using the phone for is for occaisional calls, then this would probably be the most economical way to go. THese plans do not require a contract, so you can just drop it at any time without penalty if you choose too. If however, after using your tracphoneyou find you use the phone much more than you originally planned, or you use, or desire to use some of the others features, such as texting and web browsing, then you could always revisit signing up with a major carrier.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users