Six digit phone number

20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest-Guest II-*

Guest-Guest II-*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:55 PM

Missed a call on my cell phone that the caller I.D. only showed as a six digit number, (999-307). Any ideas about this ?? Is it a scam, a malfunction or ????? A google check of the number(s) has not been helpful (so far).

#2 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:09 PM

I received the same call this evening. I didn't answer because the number was so strange. You have to be paranoid nowadays. Answer the call and who knows what can happen.

#3 bccsupersizeit

bccsupersizeit

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (Guest II @ Mar 13 2010, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Missed a call on my cell phone that the caller I.D. only showed as a six digit number, (999-307). Any ideas about this ?? Is it a scam, a malfunction or ????? A google check of the number(s) has not been helpful (so far).

someone was 'spoofing' the number.

There are programs that are available that allow you to call someone but show a different number. Some of these services are free, you generally listen to a 30 second commercial then it connects your call. The Caller Id will show what ever number you supplied it to show.

Posted Image

#4 Guest-Guest II-*

Guest-Guest II-*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE (bccsupersizeit @ Mar 13 2010, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
someone was 'spoofing' the number.

There are programs that are available that allow you to call someone but show a different number. Some of these services are free, you generally listen to a 30 second commercial then it connects your call. The Caller Id will show what ever number you supplied it to show.

Interesting, thanks.

#5 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:43 PM

It also could've been from another country. When my brother calls from Afghanistan sometime's it's only 6 digits.

#6 Guest-guest-*

Guest-guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (Guest @ Mar 13 2010, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It also could've been from another country. When my brother calls from Afghanistan sometime's it's only 6 digits.

Although when you receive calls from out of the country, it will include the country code. Calls from the UK come in 01144 and then the 7 digits.

#7 bccsupersizeit

bccsupersizeit

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:04 PM

My brother in law calls from Dubai and the number always shows Syracuse Nat Guard then the phone number 315 something something
Posted Image

#8 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:35 PM

Caller ID is easily spoofed.

@

#9 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE (Guest @ Mar 13 2010, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Caller ID is easily spoofed.

Do people really have that little to do in life that they can take time to spoof a bogus phone call?

#10 conklincolt

conklincolt

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:01 AM

QUOTE (Guest II @ Mar 13 2010, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

its a new phone virus,don't answer it.

#11 Road Warrior

Road Warrior

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:37 AM

QUOTE (Guest II @ Mar 14 2010, 01:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ET "phone home"!

#12 Moons

Moons

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE (Road Warrior @ Mar 14 2010, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ET "phone home"!

Im bAaAaAcK laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
For whatever reason~ and UNDERNEATH YOUR CLOTHES there's an
endless story~

#13 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:07 AM

I answered it without looking at who the call was from. It said it was VISA calling because my debit/atm card was being cancelled unless I went through a series of steps to reactivate it. I don't have a VISA debit/ATM card.

#14 Celtic Witch

Celtic Witch

Ready for Retirement

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:10 AM

This has been reported on another thread. http://bcvoice.com/f...showtopic=27988 Apparently it is some company called Merchant Cooperative. Check out this link to reports from other people who have experienced the same thing:

http://phoneowner.in...aspx/8438846884
Posted Image
MAGICK IS WITHIN YOU... With it you can create your dreams, heal your world, love your life and find the peace that lives in every human heart.

Posted Image

#15 Guest-Guest-me09-*-*

Guest-Guest-me09-*-*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE (conklincolt @ Mar 14 2010, 06:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
its a new phone virus,don't answer it.

hi.You have a real problem,indeed.It happened to me and since then I am using Kasperky antivirus version 7.0 http://www.trustdown...rity-7.0.html.I recommend it to all of you
good luck

#16 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:52 AM

QUOTE (Guest @ Mar 14 2010, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I answered it without looking at who the call was from. It said it was VISA calling because my debit/atm card was being cancelled unless I went through a series of steps to reactivate it. I don't have a VISA debit/ATM card.

This is a different issue (scam) unrelated to the OP's topic of the six digit number. Your call was from a scammer posing as Merchant Cooperative, a legitimate credit card processing company, but it's not really coming from them. The call back number they have been using is 843-884-6884.
Needless to say, NEVER give out personal banking information to any automated recorded message!!!

As for:
"hi.You have a real problem,indeed.It happened to me and since then I am using Kasperky antivirus version 7.0 http://www.trustdown...rity-7.0.html.I recommend it to all of you
good luck"

Not exactly sure what it was that "happened" to you, but
The link doesn't work, and that version is for pc, not smartphones.
The mobile version can be found here...
http://www.kaspersky...;company=43#c43

#17 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:21 AM

I lived out of the area for awhile and whenever I had a late movie, Blockbuster would call to remind me and the number would appear as 000-000-0000.

I presume because it was an automatic dialer and nothing "manned" that someone could return the call. Kind of like a donotreply email address that comes out sometimes from retailers announcing sales etc.

I wouldn't fret about the number thats calling, especially if it doesnt leave a message prompting you to take some kind of action, but I probably wouldnt answer it either.

#18 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE (bccsupersizeit @ Mar 13 2010, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My brother in law calls from Dubai and the number always shows Syracuse Nat Guard then the phone number 315 something something

My brother calls from North Carolina sometimes.

#19 Jabster

Jabster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:56 AM

Here is an interesting article I was reading yesterday about this from a Harrisburg paper.

http://www.pennlive....an_cause_r.html

-- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

#20 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE (Jabster @ Aug 3 2010, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is an interesting article I was reading yesterday about this from a Harrisburg paper.

http://www.pennlive....an_cause_r.html
a
Thanks for the valuable info. Also, are you the one that made up that quote about four score?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users