living in one school district, but attending another just to play sports

24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:53 PM

Does anyone know what the rules are regarding living in one school district but attending and playing sports for another school district? Seems there are a lot of schools that have illegal players.

#2 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE (Guest @ Sep 10 2010, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone know what the rules are regarding living in one school district but attending and playing sports for another school district? Seems there are a lot of schools that have illegal players.

If you don't know the rules, how do you know they are illegal players?

#3 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (Guest @ Sep 10 2010, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you don't know the rules, how do you know they are illegal players?

HAHA!! Excellent question. Too many ignorant fools that have no idea what they are talking about.

#4 Guest-I'm a guest too-*

Guest-I'm a guest too-*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (Guest @ Sep 10 2010, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can attend any school district you want as long as you pay "tuition" to the district.

#5 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2010 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE (I'm a guest too @ Sep 10 2010, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can attend any school district you want as long as you pay "tuition" to the district.

I really dont see the point, high school sports are the season to have fun with your friends and schoolmates. Any athlete that has aspirations to play sports after high school certainly knows high school sports arent your avenue??

#6 Guest-Guest-Reality Check-*-*

Guest-Guest-Reality Check-*-*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2010 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE (Guest @ Sep 11 2010, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really dont see the point, high school sports are the season to have fun with your friends and schoolmates. Any athlete that has aspirations to play sports after high school certainly knows high school sports arent your avenue??

High school sports aren't your avenue to playing sports after high school? Interesting theory.

#7 Guest-joey-*

Guest-joey-*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:30 PM

#8 Guest-knicks-*

Guest-knicks-*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:32 PM

That is a good point. Most college recruiting is done through camps, tournaments and travel teams

#9 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE (knicks @ Sep 11 2010, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is a good point. Most college recruiting is done through camps, tournaments and travel teams

My point exactly. Most college coaches arent going to want to see an athlete running all over a high school game but rather see them in a high level environement where they are challenged and surrounded by high level players. Most and yes I said most high school sports are played at a very low level and the style of play has become modified to try to win games with a few players instead of a quality team. High school sports are the time for kids to play with their friends and support there school, if there playing for another school I would have to think its just another example of the blowhard dad that wants to brag how good they are and dosent see the big picture at all!!

#10 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE (Guest @ Sep 12 2010, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My point exactly. Most college coaches arent going to want to see an athlete running all over a high school game but rather see them in a high level environement where they are challenged and surrounded by high level players. Most and yes I said most high school sports are played at a very low level and the style of play has become modified to try to win games with a few players instead of a quality team. High school sports are the time for kids to play with their friends and support there school, if there playing for another school I would have to think its just another example of the blowhard dad that wants to brag how good they are and dosent see the big picture at all!!

You have a point to a degree .
In some cases a parent my want to move a kid to another school to give them the oppurtunity to have a better "highschool "expariance than they would have had at the school district they happen to live in .

For different reasons from kids who may not be the best player but has the right name so he plays .
Or go from a school that does not support a sport to one that is competative .
Each situation is different and if the parent wants to spend the money then that is their choice .

#11 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE (Guest @ Sep 12 2010, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have a point to a degree .
In some cases a parent my want to move a kid to another school to give them the oppurtunity to have a better "highschool "expariance than they would have had at the school district they happen to live in .

For different reasons from kids who may not be the best player but has the right name so he plays .
Or go from a school that does not support a sport to one that is competative .
Each situation is different and if the parent wants to spend the money then that is their choice .

Agreed, ironicially when a player transfers schools, it's usually an ADULT or COACH trying to blow he whistle on a kid rather that the players on that team. Pathetic...

#12 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (I'm a guest too @ Sep 10 2010, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not true.
If you do not live in the JC School district the only way you can attend JC is if your parent is a teacher there.

#13 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (Guest @ Sep 12 2010, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed, ironicially when a player transfers schools, it's usually an ADULT or COACH trying to blow he whistle on a kid rather that the players on that team. Pathetic...

I agree. Recently some coaches have even stooped to questioning younger siblings at the grammar school level to obtain any information that they could possibly get. In recent memory a current coach used this appalling tactic when he lost two quality players whose families chose to relocate to another city.

#14 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:35 PM

The coaches who recruited kids from other places should be held accountable ...forks and valley wrestling have had an all "move in " lineup in recent years

#15 Guest-guest-*

Guest-guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:23 PM

As long as the school will accept you, you can attend the school no matter what district you live in. Not all schools charge tuition. The state makes a recommendation as to what tha amount of tuition should be. Each school district is allowed to decide what to charge. Chenango Forks does not charge tuition and Newark Valley charges the maxinum.

#16 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (guest @ Sep 12 2010, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As long as the school will accept you, you can attend the school no matter what district you live in. Not all schools charge tuition. The state makes a recommendation as to what tha amount of tuition should be. Each school district is allowed to decide what to charge. Chenango Forks does not charge tuition and Newark Valley charges the maxinum.

You may want to recheck your source, Forks charges over $2000 to attend the HS. They have been charging for years

#17 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:29 AM

Most of the kids in the Forks and Valley wrestling programs all moved into their districts or lived with a divorced parent residing in the district.
None of them to my knowledge actually live in another district with no ties to the district they attend.

#18 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:34 AM

QUOTE (Guest @ Sep 14 2010, 06:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most of the kids in the Forks and Valley wrestling programs all moved into their districts or lived with a divorced parent residing in the district.
None of them to my knowledge actually live in another district with no ties to the district they attend.

Forks kids have moved, true...goldman/ gumbel did a good job of recruiting them and doing it the right way

All the good Valley kids are not residents of CV...Kleitz/ Greene twins

#19 Guest-guest-*

Guest-guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE (Guest @ Sep 13 2010, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You may want to recheck your source, Forks charges over $2000 to attend the HS. They have been charging for years

Forks recently inquired about what to charge for tuition for outside students. They claimed that they have not been charging tuition. If you know something different, I would be very interested in hearing about it.

On a different note, how much a school charges for tuition has nothing to do with how well their sports teams perform.

#20 Guest-guest-*

Guest-guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE (Guest @ Sep 13 2010, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My guess is that, as in any good debate, the answer is in the middle somewhere. I will assume your number of $2000 is correct and present an answer that satisfies both original statements. Here it goes. Forks has been charging $2000 a year in tuition for an extended amount of time (according to your source) and realized the district is falling behind in tuition. They decide to inquire about the state recommended tuition to determine what an appropraite increase in tuition might be. The district employee that made the inquiry did not know the district is charging tuition (hence my source). Either way, it is probably going to cost more to attend Forks. I believe our discussion proved my original statement that each district can charge whatever amount of tuition they want. My conclusion may also support your point that Forks does charge tuition. Now hopefully we can drop this debate before somebody twist it into a debate about whether Forks is cheating.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users