53 replies to this topic

#1 Navin R Johnson

Navin R Johnson

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,252 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:37 AM

Does anyone else remember going to ansco (gaf) lake in windsor in the 60's and 70's? I remember going there and swimming in the lake. the big pavilion they had for dances and parties? I was 3 years old and still remember running by the tennis courts and cutting my knee open and needing stitches for the first time. it was such a nice clean company park that was better than any local municipal park. Would love to hear other stories about ansco lake.
""You can not help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves" ." Abraham Lincoln

Work spares us from three evils: boredom, vice, and need.
Voltaire

#2 2pelo Honey

2pelo Honey

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:49 AM

Yep, I do...I think a great-uncle of mine built the Rec Center or whatever it was that looked like Mount Vernon.

It's a vague memory, since I never even met him.

My brother was a LG there as well.

#3 Navin R Johnson

Navin R Johnson

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,252 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:55 AM

yea i remember it was a beautiful building and it did look like mt vernon. i wish i could find some pictures of the place.
""You can not help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves" ." Abraham Lincoln

Voltaire

#4 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (poptart @ Jul 4 2008, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone else remember going to ansco (gaf) lake in windsor in the 60's and 70's? I remember going there and swimming in the lake. the big pavilion they had for dances and parties? I was 3 years old and still remember running by the tennis courts and cutting my knee open and needing stitches for the first time. it was such a nice clean company park that was better than any local municipal park. Would love to hear other stories about ansco lake.

I went there all the time, my dad worked at ansco. Loved the playground - loved the swimming area - the picnic area - the boats. I went there for a nostalgic visit last fall and some dude creamed at me to get the Not Allowed out.

#5 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:01 PM

Most of what I remember is that they had a high dive, the beach was real sand, and there was a fenced in section with a bunch of kids playground apparatus....slides, see saws, monkey bars, etc.

#6 Navin R Johnson

Navin R Johnson

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,252 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:07 PM

yea it was real sand....and remember they had that red concrete walk way going to the beach. it would be hotter then the surface of the sun and you couldnt wait to get to the water to cool your feet. my father was also an ansco/gaf employee for 25 years and even though we would go camping every weekend in the catskills, we would spend some days at ansco lake during the summer. great family time spent together.

Voltaire

#7 2pelo Honey

2pelo Honey

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:11 PM

Not having any luck searching for pics online, but did come across this, if anyone's interested.

http://home.att.net/~wlcamp/ansco.htm

Interesting, I don't think I ever heard there was a plant in Afton?

#8 Navin R Johnson

Navin R Johnson

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,252 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:24 PM

someone has to have pictures of it somewhere.

Voltaire

#9 Guest-Class of 62-*

Guest-Class of 62-*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:28 PM

We used to go there all the time. We would walk up that hill to get there. On occassion we took a short cut thru Sweet's Lake(George F. Johnsons daughter) and hike thru the woods. Never seemed to be to crowded during the week, weekends we were not allowed no one was related to a Ansco employee. Actually I learned to swim in that lake. It really was a nice place.

#10 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:56 PM

Any body rememberPerch Pond out of harpursville,the pavilions,arcade etc.

#11 2pelo Honey

2pelo Honey

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:01 PM

I think I went there in K-garten for a class trip, and barely remember it...by the time I went back, all that stuff was gone, and it's pretty scary looking now.

Especially if the locals are lurking about.

#12 bccsupersizeit

bccsupersizeit

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:29 PM

I remember going there for a school trip when I went to Saint Johns. It had to be around the mid seventies. All I really remember was looking for crayfish in a small stream and some rowboats in a small lake.
Posted Image

#13 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (poptart @ Jul 4 2008, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
someone has to have pictures of it somewhere.

I'll bet my Mom has some photos of us kids there.

#14 Sleepless in Hillcrest

Sleepless in Hillcrest

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • Interests:Things I shouldn't poke with a stick

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:22 PM

I worked for GAF in the early seventies in Bldg 105, the paper plant. My girlfriend, Linda and I spent many a weekend at the lake. I remember getting an ear infection from showing off on the high dive. I didn't hit the water exactly right!

@
You have bled with Wallace.... now bleed with me!

#15 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2008 - 04:48 PM

I wonder if there's pictures at the BC Library up in the room on the second floor out back. There's lots of books of photos there.

@

#16 Hillbillysilly

Hillbillysilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (poptart @ Jul 4 2008, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I loved that high dive that was there i would spend hours jumping off of it. I have memories of a guy with a mega phone yelling "Keep the boats away from the shore."
You got to have smelt a lot of mule manure before you can sing like a hillbilly.
Hank Williams

#17 Guest-laker-*

Guest-laker-*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2008 - 04:46 AM

Ansco Lake was like a country club for the employees and kids of Ansco workers.

A rite of passage was jumping off the high dive. Then you had to swim to the floating dock.

The company had FREE ice cream days. All you wanted. Unbelievable.

My brother caught an albino bullhead from a rowboat once. Fascinating and ugly, at the same time. You could "rent" boats for free.

They trucked in tons of sand to create a real beach. I remember wondering later why other lakes did not have beaches.

Of course, there are pictures! It was a camera and film company. I'll be looking for mine today.

Thanks for bringing up old memories.

#18 Guest-Guest-*

Guest-Guest-*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:53 AM

It was sold by Broome County at tax sale in 2003 and is now owned by several individuals. There is no public access any more.

#19 Guest-non-pedophile-*

Guest-non-pedophile-*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:16 AM

QUOTE (poptart @ Jul 4 2008, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

didn't they used to bury their waste there? anyway thats what i heard.

#20 Sleepless in Hillcrest

Sleepless in Hillcrest

Ready for Retirement

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • Interests:Things I shouldn't poke with a stick

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:51 AM

GAF was a pretty cool place to work...lots of perks besides the lake. We had our own men's and women's softball leagues (Lonnie Kootosh was an unhittable pitcher), a basketball league (Jeff Bump from Windsor was good for 40 points every game, I think his kid became quite the local golfer a few years back), free film for your cameras (I've never owned one), and year round events at the lake and other venues.
You have bled with Wallace.... now bleed with me!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users