Arthur Jones competes for starting spot with Baltimore Ravens

WolfMan

from syracuse.com

Heading into his third NFL season with the Baltimore Ravens, former Syracuse defensive tackle Arthur Jones is hoping to land a starting spot.

Jones spent the offseason working out with his younger brothers, Jon and Chandler, in New Mexico and has dropped 18 pounds over the past two seasons.

The Ravens are hoping Jones will fill the spot vacated by former starting defensive end Cory Redding.

"Art has played well," Ravens coach John Harbaugh told The Baltimore Sun. "Art is not a surprise to me. He has done well. He can play both spots. He is going to play the defensive end spot and he is competing for the starting job there, and he is also going to play the 3-technique spot, which he would probably be the third man in that rotation. Versatile is huge. So he is going to play a lot of football regardless of where it ends up shaking out for the most part."

Last season, Jones played in 14 games and had 18 tackles. During minicamp last week he worked with the first team. Jones says he's ready for whatever the Ravens throw at him this season.

"I feel good, really good and ready for whatever role they want me to play. Mentally and physically I'm stronger than ever, and each year I have gained more confidence. I feel good about going into this season and I want to help this team win a championship, and that means doing whatever it takes. I just want to get a ring on my finger."

One game that Jones is looking forward to this season is when the Ravens host the New England Patriots on September 23. Jones' younger brother Chandler was selected by the Patriots with the No. 21 pick in April's NFL draft.

"When I line up against him and see him on the other side, it's going to be like, 'Wow, this kid is in the league, too.' It's a testament to hard work. I don't know if I will get a chance to go against him except on special teams, and if I do, I will knock him on his butt a few times."

Archived