Lourdes/Guthrie

ginger

What a nightmare. Canceled MRIs and CT scans, prescription screw ups, insurance screwups...delayed procedures, defunct patient porthole.

This has been a mess for a while.  I wonder when things are going to be back to normal.

14 hours ago, ginger said:

What a nightmare. Canceled MRIs and CT scans, prescription screw ups, insurance screwups...delayed procedures, defunct patient porthole.

This has been a mess for a while.  I wonder when things are going to be back to normal.

it will be a LONG time before things are "back to normal" for them. In a hack like that, where they lost all access to patient files they would have to verify all information is correct after gaining access to them again. Whether they are doing a restore from backups, or they paid a ransom, somebody is going to have to verify the data is correct and accurate before relying on it again. And of course, they have to find & seal all their holes in the network that allowed them access. 

A few years back, there was a hospital in California that got compromised, they had to pay out $50 Million to get access to their data, which then has to be  scrubbed to verify nothing was hidden in there from the hackers. 

Thanks^^ it's incomprehensible to me how everything has been turned upside down. I was supposed to have an MRI last week on my tailbone. Yes, still suffering from the car accident. I showed up and they said they didn't have my order and all MRIs were canceled. I thought it was a staffing situation. Keep in mind central scheduling called ME and set up the date for the scan. They said they'd call me to reschedule. Still no call. I can't access my patient portal. I tried to call my MD, on hold for 1/2 hr. I hung up. I'll try again tomorrow, I guess.

A family member is scheduled for surgery in June. Her surgeon wants a CT scan with contrast but she can't seem to get anyone to schedule her. I think they told her to call back EVERYDAY to see if there's an opening. She's been on the phone for days getting the run around. Somebody told her to go to Wilson..but she doesn't know if her insurance company will let her go to Wilson. 

It's crazy! 

10 hours ago, ginger said:

Thanks^^ it's incomprehensible to me how everything has been turned upside down. I was supposed to have an MRI last week on my tailbone. Yes, still suffering from the car accident. I showed up and they said they didn't have my order and all MRIs were canceled. I thought it was a staffing situation. Keep in mind central scheduling called ME and set up the date for the scan. They said they'd call me to reschedule. Still no call. I can't access my patient portal. I tried to call my MD, on hold for 1/2 hr. I hung up. I'll try again tomorrow, I guess.

A family member is scheduled for surgery in June. Her surgeon wants a CT scan with contrast but she can't seem to get anyone to schedule her. I think they told her to call back EVERYDAY to see if there's an opening. She's been on the phone for days getting the run around. Somebody told her to go to Wilson..but she doesn't know if her insurance company will let her go to Wilson. 

It's crazy! 

From what I've heard, everything now is being done by hand with paper orders (like the good 'ol days).... and not everybody knows exactly how to do things by hand as the newer employees were all trained on the computers for their daily tasks. Add this issue to a place that was already short staffed and you get chaos

Not sure why an insurance company would only allow a specific hospital to do it ... it's worth a shot calling and having them at least look at the order and they should be able to tell your friend. I've had things ordered by Lourdes in the past and went to UHS instead to have them done with no issues. 

The insurance issue is whether Wilson/UHS is “in network” for a particular employer’s health plan - and not whether Wilson could do a test ordered by Lourdes physician. 

Our healthcare system is a mess (even before this computer fiasco)

Went to a few MD's offices yesterday rather than being on hold for who knows how long. I was able to verify appointments and refill a prescription at both offices. My understanding is that a paper prescription for a Controlled Substance has to picked up in person but non-controlled can still be called in by the office.

Regarding the ransom, the company my son used to work for had the same type of attack. The company paid the $7M ransom, but didn't get all of their info back.

Waiting to see how this all ends up.

2 hours ago, dadums said:

Went to a few MD's offices yesterday rather than being on hold for who knows how long. I was able to verify appointments and refill a prescription at both offices. My understanding is that a paper prescription for a Controlled Substance has to picked up in person but non-controlled can still be called in by the office.

Regarding the ransom, the company my son used to work for had the same type of attack. The company paid the $7M ransom, but didn't get all of their info back.

Waiting to see how this all ends up.

Lourdes paid a LOT more than $7m for their ransom and will have a lot of other expenses from the after effect

Solak has long covered the ridiculous ratio of management to care providers at the facility, and other management problems, such as continued use of less than up to date information systems.

The current situation was wholly avoidable had the switch from the Ascension system to Guthrie’s coincided with the Guthrie takeover. But it didn’t.

On 5/30/2024 at 1:38 PM, JC Knowledge 23 said:

Lourdes paid a LOT more than $7m for their ransom and will have a lot of other expenses from the after effect

Didn't know if it was paid or not. Son's company was nowhere the size of Ascension.